HOW TO RENEW YOUR FSSAI LICENSE AFTER ITS EXPIRATION
Ensuring food safety and regulatory compliance is paramount for any business in the food industry. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) plays a crucial role in upholding these standards, and obtaining an FSSAI license is an essential condition for operating in the food sector. However, once your FSSAI license expires, it becomes mandatory to renew it immediately to avoid any kind of disruptions in your business operations. In this article, we will guide you through the process of renewing your FSSAI license after its expiration. Discover the necessary steps, documentation requirements, and valuable tips to smoothly navigate the renewal process and continue providing safe and quality food products to consumers. Don't let an expired FSSAI license hinder your business growth – let's explore the steps to renew it and maintain your commitment to food safety and regulatory compliance.
Renewal of FSSAI License
Any food business must have an FSSAI license before it can operate. All food producers, traders, and eateries must have a 14-digit registration or license number that is shown on food packaging along with the FSSAI logo.
Your FSSAI license is valid for a period of one to five years. Before 30 days of the existing registration expiring, the application for the food license renewal (renewal of the FSSAI license) must be submitted using Form A or Form B. If you submit your application after the deadline has passed, you will be assessed a late fee of Rs.100 for each day it was delayed. Once the food license expires, the business owner is required to cease all ongoing commercial activities on the property. Once the license got expired Food Business Operators (FBOs) have to shut their operations.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India announced a new policy for renewing the FSSAI License/Registration after the expiry date in order to make it easier for food businesses to continue using the same license number even after the expiry date. Here in this article, we have put a brief summary of the notification.
Summary of FSSAI Notification
The Covid-19 pandemic has affected the entire nation, making it difficult for FBOs to renew their licenses and registrations within the allotted period. They had to get a new license or registration in order to keep operating their restaurant.
FSSAI announced a new policy to enable food enterprises to continue using the same licence number even after the expiry date. The FBO can now renew the FSSAI License/Registration even after the expiration date with a penalty of Rs. 100 per day, per the new rules.
Important Announcement For Food Business Operators
- This requirement of submission of renewal application after the expiry date shall be subject to submission of the required annual return by the licensed food manufacturer or importer electronically through FoSCoS.
- Renewal will not be allowed beyond 80 days from the initial expiry date.
- The FBO is not permitted to operate any food business between the initial expiry date and the issue of the renewed license. Violation of Section 63 of the FSS Act, 2006 will result in fines and penalties for any food business operating at that time.
- When a renewed license or registration is granted, a new validity date will be created.
- This policy will be effective till the FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Amendment Act comes into force in 2021.
- In case their license or registration has expired within the last 180 days from the date of issue of this order, the FBOs can avail of the policy and apply for renewal of license/registration using the Food Safety Compliance System, FoSCoS.
Registration Categories of FSSAI
FSSAI Central License: This FSSAI registration renewal is essential for small businesses or startups, including small food producers and small-sized manufacturers, storage facilities, transporters, traders, marketers, wholesalers, etc., with an annual turnover of less than Rs. 12 lakhs.
FSSAI State License: This FSSAI registration renewal is required for small businesses or startups, including petty food producers and small-sized manufacturers, storage facilities, transporters, merchants, marketers, wholesalers, etc., who have an annual turnover below Rs. 12 lakhs. Once your sales graph improves, you can upgrade your basic registration to an FSSAI State Licence.
FSSAI Basic Registration: For small businesses or startups, such as petty food producers and small-sized manufacturers, storage facilities, transporters, merchants, marketers, wholesalers, etc., who have an annual revenue below Rs. 12 lakhs, this renewal of FSSAI registration is essential. If your sales graph improves, the Basic registration can be upgraded to a State license.
How to reapply for your Food License?
All food business operators (FBOs) in India are required to get an FSSAI license. This license should be required of all producers, carriers, distributors, merchants, food hawkers, etc. The FSSA Act of 2006 stipulates that anyone wishing to start a food business must obtain a food license from the FSSAI administration. Just as important as getting the license is starting the FSSAI license renewal process before the existing one expires.
Renewal procedures for FSSAI licenses - If you wish to provide consumers with products that are safe to eat, you must comply with laws and regulations. FSSAI regulations state that all food business owners have 30 days prior to submitting an application for renewal of their existing food license.
Procedure for Renewing the FSSAI License
The steps for renewing an FSSAI license are as follows:
- Fill out Form A (Basic FSSAI Registration) or Form B (Central or State FSSAI Registration) with the self-attested documentation needed by the Food Safety and Standards Act, Regulations/Laws, depending on the preceding license.
- When the application is finished, the authority will inspect it.
- The authority assigns some of its staff to the establishment investigation.
- Before compiling a report, the FSSAI officer would thoroughly examine and inspect the food establishment.
- An FSSAI/Food license must be issued by the authorized authority within 60 days.
Due Date For FSSAI Renewal
As per the Food Safety Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulation, 201, the FBOs (Food Business Operations) have to submit an application for renewal of the license at least 30 days before the date of expiry of the license.
As early as 180 days before to the expiration date, the window for filing a renewal application for food businesses opens.
Late fee for non-renewal of the FSSAI license
A late fee of Rs. 100 per day will be charged by FBO along with the renewal fee if the renewal of a license is not submitted 30 days before the expiration date. It should be noted that registration is free of this late fee.
Documents Needed To Renew a Basic FSSAI License
- A passport-sized photo of the applicant that serves as identification proof (such as an Aadhar card or voter ID card).
- Copy of a PAN card used as address verification (phone, mobile, electric or gas bill)
- Please enclose a copy of the leasing agreement and the landlord's letter of NOC (No Objection Certificate) if you are the business owner.
Documents Required To Update a Central Or State FSSAI Licence
Form B must be fully completed and officially signed, and it must be attached to the Form for FSSAI Licence Renewal with the following:
- A photo of the applicant, the partners, the director(s), or the authorized signatory.
- Verification of the applicant's, partner's, director's, or authorized signatory's address.
- list of directors along with identity documentation; A diagram of the food production plant; a list of food types for producers;
- If the applicant is a manufacturer, the name, number, installed capacity, and horsepower of the equipment must be mentioned. a partnership deed or a copy of the MOA and AOA. letter from the manufacturer authorizing the chosen person to act on his behalf.
- Power bills, sales deeds, etc., are important forms of proof of ownership. if a central license is issued.
- A canceled cheque.
Additional requirements for renewing a Central FSSAI Licence include the ones listed below:
- IEC publications published by the DGFT; 100% EOU certificate from the Ministry of Commerce;
- All Services
- Services for Business Facilities
- Services Related to Business Law
- Tax-related auditing and assurance services
- Pay stub services
- Accounting and Compliance Services
- The CFO's services
How to apply for the renewal of the FSSAI License?
After logging in, go to "Renewal" and select "Apply for Renewal of License/Registration" from the Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) website.
All licenses and registrations that have been issued will be listed and up for renewal. Click "Proceed" next to the program that the user wants to upgrade.
Keep in mind that:
- A license or registration certificate may be marked as eligible for renewal just 120 days before the license expiration date.
- The FSSAI License/Registration Certificate will not be available here for renewal once it has expired today (Original expiry of 180 days). Apply to the situation.
On Form B, Application Details page, the following sections will either be editable or not editable:
- No editing is allowed.
- Non-editable product selection.
- Information about communication: All fields, excluding the registered address, are editable.
- Documents that must be submitted must be uploaded.
- Payment: Determined by the user-selected year(s).
- Remember: If you request a license renewal 90 days before it expires, only renewal fees will be charged. A punishment of Rs. 100 per day over 90 days will be imposed in addition to renewal charges.
- Following payment, a receipt with a brand-new 17-digit registration number will be generated, which can be used as a reference in the future.
- Select "Renewal of License and Registration Fee: Same as New License/Registration" from the drop-down menu present on the website.
Fee Structure for the Renewal of the FSSAI License
Renewal before the expiry
Renewal after the expiry
Rs. 7500 plus Rs. 100 per day late
Certificate and License Modification
Fresh application for basic registration
Before it expires, the FSSAI Licence should be renewed in order to keep the firm operating. Keep an eye on things if your food license is set to expire and keep in mind that you have 30 days to apply before your FSSAI license or registration expires. Get in touch with this site if you want to learn more about this because CRSPL offers significant and crucial information in the area of the same.